Filed under News

February 16 Press Release

Hawk Counselor Honored in DC

Along with 49 other state winners, Seminole Ridge school counselor Dr. Melissa Garcia attended the American School Counselor Association’s ‘School Counselor of the Year’ celebration February at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, DC. Following a recognition from keynote speaker Michelle Obama, the 50 state winners attended a dinner gala at DC’s Union Station, where Dr. Garcia was honored as the 2018 ‘Florida School Counselor of the Year.’

“The event was wonderful,” said Garcia, “and the recognition was truly heartfelt and appreciated.” She added a quote from Mrs. Obama: “It’s the people who work in the trenches who have the most impact of making a positive difference in the lives of our children, just like each one of the school counselors being recognized today.”

In other Hawk school counseling news, our school hosted an AP/AICE information night and open house February 6. Current and incoming students and their parents attended a presentation in our media center and talked with Ridge AP/AICE teachers about the benefits of taking advanced-level coursework and planning their future academic careers.

Ridge Hosts Music Assessments 

In a record high for the SRHS band program, our students earned 48 ‘Superior’ ratings in the 2018 Florida Bandmasters’ Association solo and ensemble music performance assessments, hosted on our campus February 10. Congratulations to our musicians!

Dramaworks to Feature Ridge Playwright

SRHS junior Deja Gamble is one of ten students whose original play Reality? will be featured in the annual Palm Beach Dramaworks ten-minute student play competition. Gamble will receive a cash prize, have her work produced and directed by local Actors’ Equity performers, and earn publication in Dramaworks’ student play anthology.

Reality? will be performed 7:00 Monday evening, February 26. Tickets are free but must be reserved: contact Palm Beach Dramaworks at 514-4042.

Hawk Athletes Sign for Colleges

Several of our Hawk football players have signed athletic scholarship letters of intent recently:

• Slot and corner Justin Allie will join the Bulldogs of Ferris State University in Big Rapids, Michigan.
  • Tackle and guard Maxwell Zimmerman has signed with the Seahawks of Keiser University in West Palm Beach.
  • Tackle and guard Nick Screciu has committed to Florida Atlantic University as a preferred walk-on, turning down seven other scholarship offers to play for the FAU Owls.

Students of the Week

Our ‘Students of the Week’ program recognizes Hawks, nominated by our staff, for their academic excellence, their behavior, and their assistance with campus events. Congratulations to our ‘Students of the Week’ for February 12–16: Derek Howell (grade 9); Rebekah Anderson (grade 10); Antonio Pernas (grade 11); and Annemarie Reese (grade 12). And congrats to those for February 19-23: Catherine Jagmohan (grade 9); Daneale Smith (grade 10); Devinity Salmon (grade 11); and Anthony Angel (grade 12).

February 16 Press Release