Kinky Boots: a Review

Deja Gamble, Student Writer

As I was expecting a simple musical with classical music and a normal story line, I did not expect the phenomenal musical Kinky Boots to steal my heart. The beauty of the costumes matched the tone of the music perfectly, and the high-energy performance by the actors made me weary—in a good way.

I sank into my seat as the music slowly started up: happy and enchanting, it could make anyone smile. Charlie’s father came on beat with the music, and a soccer ball rolled onto the stage. That was a cute start to an amazing show. Although I couldn’t understand what the young Charlie and young Lola were saying, but as the song “The Most Beautiful Thing in the World” went on, time lapsed smoothly through Charlie’s age till he was an adult. When the song ended, with Charlie making a “Cheers!” to his now passed-away father, all I could think about was how that was a classic way to make you feel for a character.

When the show continued, I was pleased by the singing and acting, but what really got me is when the dancers for Lola appearead. One of the best things of the whole musical was those ladies dancing in heels and in those outfits! When Lola came on after they were done, I was ready to jump out of my seat and clap for her because there was something in that scene that no one else could ever recreate.

As the show went on, Lola developed a crush on Charlie, breaking into “The History of Wrong Guys.” It made me want her to just get with Charlie. Her character was amazing, though one down side was that she kept my interest more than Charlie did. Lola is a great character, and Kinky Boots had the potential to put maybe a bit more work into their love story than just a simple three scenes.

One of the most amazing songs—and the dance coordination to go with it—was “Sex in Heels.” I was blown away by how the dancers did a great job explaining their heels and how important they actually are. I couldn’t stop smiling and tapping my feet. The dancing for “Sex in Heels” was so amazing because the performers walked on escalators while singing. They made me want to give a standing ovation!

As the Lola came in again, she was wearing boy clothes—but she hated them, and she only wore them because everyone didn’t like her being a crossdresser. Lola brought up her father and how she couldn’t live up to his expectations, and Charlie related to her confession in a different way with his father. They both found something in each other. I was on the verge of tears when they sang the duet “Not My Father’s Son.”

When Don and Lola got into a fight, they decided they should settle it with a boxing scene, sung in slow motion, and I loved when they were about to punch—it went slowly, and everyone on the stage was perfectly in sync with the music. Loved it!

When Lola did her solo at the end of the show, I was feeling the song—the shininess of her dress, combined with the stage lights, almost blinded me. The final number, “Raise you up,” was great— everyone on stage was wearing their beautiful high heels! Kinky Boots was one of the best musicals I’ve ever seen, and I would love to see it again.

And always remember step number six to success: “You change the world when you change your mind!”

Kinky Boots: a Review