Camp Jenny

Rebecca Georginow, Staff Writer

Camp Jenny is held every year over Memorial Day weekend at the Union for Reform Judiasm’s Camp Coleman in Cleveland, Georgia. The camp is a led by two of the North American Foundation for Temple Youth regions, the Southern Area Region and the Southern Tropical Region.

Camp Jenny is a four-day camp for inner-city kids in Atlanta who attend  F.L. Stanton Elementary School. It was first established in 1988, a year after a teacher at the school, Jenny Rosenthal, died in a serious car accident. She believed that every child, no matter what their circumstances are, should be able to attend a camp and have the experience of belonging to a community. To this day the school still sends a large number of its students to camp. In order for these students to attend Camp Jenny, they earn points during the school year using a scale that includes things like attendance and parent involvement.

Throughout the year, NFTY-STR and NFTY-SAR hold fundraising activities to cover the cost—$500 each—of sending these students to camp. At every regional event, each temple youth group comes together to make a donation. Camp Jenny is our major social action project for each year, and it leaves a lasting impact, not only on the campers but on all the staff and advisors. It is the most selfless thing you could ever partake in.

The legacy of Camp Jenny can be summed up this way:  “Jenny Rosenthal’s flame may have been extinguished years ago, but her smile and her spirit illuminate the lives of everyone associated with Camp Jenny. It is a shine that can’t be taken away.”

Camp Jenny